There is so much to experience and explore in and around Henry County. This southeast side of metro Atlanta is rich in history, we have Panola Mountain, Jackson Lake and Lake Spivey, nature trails, parks, Atlanta Motor Speedway, fairs & festivals, and unique small towns filled with charm.
From family outings to date night, to going out with friends, there are so many choices for fun, entertainment, and greater community engagement. I’ve compiled a bucket list of places to visit, events to experience, and ways to engage in our area. I am trying to check them all off in time. Some of these things are great to do with kids, others are better explored on your own or with a partner or friends. Some are great ways to meet new people and get involved.
I began a bucket list in 2002 and thought I would revisit it again this year. One of the things I checked off last year was going to Axe Country on a girl’s night out with the McDonough Junior Women’s Club. Slinging that axe is harder than it looks, but I did make a bullseye! I plan to take my husband there for our February date night. If you prefer outdoor activities, Crystal Lake Golf Club redid its greens over the summer, and they are beautiful. I plan to brush up my golf skills this year and spend some time on the course with my family. My daughters and I also enjoyed local theater attending the Henry County Players’ production of Newsboys. It is always a treat to experience the talents of our local theater communities. I plan to take in a few plays again this season.
In the fall, my husband and I enjoyed one of McDonough’s newest attractions, the McDonough Ghost Tour by Southern Ghost Tours. It was fascinating to learn about the many local spirits on the Square. Southern Ghost Tours just bought one of Henry County’s oldest, haunted, buildings just off the square. I’m excited to see what else this tour company will bring to the community.
I’ve already got several of bucket list items planned for 2023. First on the list is seeing the Dueling Pianos and the Bon Jovi Tribute band Slippery When Wet at Southern Roots in January and February. What are you planning?
Find Your Fun Bucket List for Henry County, Butts County, and Spalding County Georgia
- Axe throwing at Axe Country in McDonough or Georgia Axe Company in Griffin
- Archery class at Panola Mountain
- Line dancing at Tipsy Daisy in Griffin
- Golf at Crystal Lake Country Club in Hampton (or one of our many courses)
- Local Theater Productions at the Henry Players,
- Visit our many local parks (link to Henry Country Parks & Rec)
- Live music at Southern Roots in McDonough – they have great bands scheduled!
- The Georgia State Fair in Hampton
- The Geranium Festival in McDonough (May)
- The Yellow Pollen Festival in Hampton
- Skeet Shooting at Cherokee Rose Sporting Clays in Griffin
- Camping at Indian Springs State Park in Flovilla
- Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary in Locust Grove
- Southern Belle Farm in McDonough
- Rent bikes and ride the bike trails at Panola Mountain
- High Falls State Park in Jackson
- Make a pottery masterpiece at Stach Studio in Griffin
- Spivey Splash Water Park
- Play a game of disc golf at one of our local courses
- Newman Wetlands Center in Hampton
- Dauset Trails Nature Center in Jackson
- Take a guided paddle tour with the South River Watershed Alliance at Panola Mountain State Park
- Tip Toe Through the Tulips at Yule Forest Tulip Festival (April)
- The Army Aviation Heritage Foundation in Hampton and Heritage Park Veteran's Museum in McDonough
- SkyZone and Urban Air in McDonough
- See a concert at the new Stockbridge Amphitheater
- Tour Atlanta Motor Speedway and feel the thrill of the track
- Indulge in a treat at Cake n' Shake McDonough and Locust Grove
- Take a boat ride on Lake Jackson
- Escape the Museum
- Southern Ghost Tours
- Filmed in GA Tour – The Walking Dead, Stranger Thing, The Vampire Diaries
- Join a local book club at the local library, Story on the Square or Birdsong Books
- Join a local Civic organization The Lions Club, the McDonough Junior Women’s Club,
Download this Bucket List Checklist and check off what things you have done! What do you plan to do this year?
What else should we include on our local bucket list? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.